Being the powerhouse of tourism, information, culture, entertainment and fashion, Los Angeles is undoubtedly a must- visit destination for all tourists arriving in the United States. The rich and powerful status of this city has made it one of the most influential places in the entire world.
City of Angels- Fun facts
- The iconic “Hollywood” sign was originally “Hollywoodland”.
- Los Angeles was initially known as “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina de los Angeles sobre el Rio Porciuncula” which dd translates to “The town of Our Lady queen of the angels on the Porciuncula River” in Spanish.
- About one- quarter of America’s total oil produce comes from L.A!!
- Every year, Los Angeles as well as San Francisco move about 2.5 inches closer due to being placed on the opposite sides of the San Andreas Fault.
- The largest system of roadways in the country is in Los Angeles.
- Los Angeles holds the record of housing the highest number of women- owned businesses in the United States.
- Located in LA County, Marina del Rey is the largest yacht harbor in the country.
- LA is also the only non- European city to have hosted the Summer Olympics twice.
- Thomas Edison held so many patents in New Jersey that filmmakers drifted off towards the western coast towards the city of Los Angeles, hence making it the world’s most prominent hub for entertainment, fashion as well as business.
- 65 residents in L.A are named Jesus Christ!
- In L.A, people are outnumbered by cars! Vehicles occupy nearly 24 percent of the streets here.
- Approximately 100 movie as well as television crews come to Los Angeles every day for shooting.
Major events and festivals in Los Angeles
- Tournament of Roses Parade
- Chinese New Year
- Brazilian Carnival
- Pan African Film Festival
- Academy Awards
- Los Angeles Marathon
- Blessing of the Animals
- Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
- LA Times Festival of Books
- Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival
- Fiesta Broadway
- Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival
- Last Remaining Seats
- LA Gay Parade
- Los Angeles Film Festival
- Los Angeles River Ride
- Pasadena Chalk Street Painting Festival
- X Games
- Independence Day
- Downtown Film Festival
- Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival
- Pageant of the Masters
- US Open of Surfing
- International Pop Overthrow
- Festival of the chariots
- Nisei Week Japanese Festival
- Watts Summer Festival
- Fiesta Hermosa Arts and Craft Fair
- LA Greek Festival
- Los Angeles International Short Film Festival
- Port of Los Angeles Lobster Festival
- West Hollywood Book Fair
- LA County Fair
- Abbot Kinney Festival
- Calabasas Pumpkin Festival
- Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
- Artivist Film Festival
- AFI Los Angeles International Film Festival
- Hollywood Christmas Parade
- Mariachi Festival
- Marina del Rey Holiday Boat Parade
- Hanukkah Family Festival
- Las Posadas
- LA County Holiday Celebration