Rent a car for Big Sur, California and have the best road trip
Rent a car for Big sur via USA rentals and enjoy the breathtaking scenic views of this magnificent stretch of road across California. Engage in Camping, hiking and stay at the best hotels with beautiful views.With a personal car it’s worth the money, time and effort.
The Big Sur is a stretch of a rugged mountainous region, characterized by the stunning views, Redwood forests, hiking trails, camping sites, beautiful beaches and the calm, scarcely populated surroundings. The Route 1, as it is often referred to now, is a 2-lane road. The traffic can get intense and renting a car is a more comfortable option. The Big Sur is a very popular tourist spot in California – a place which is mystical and is associated with trends like the Bohemian movement and artists like Henry Miller.
Which car should I hire?
USA Cars Rental offers you the services of the best suppliers in California. And, since there is a mix-bag of three to four million people traveling the stretch every year, with a great number traveling without their own vehicle, we advise that you book the car of your choice as much in advance as possible.
USA Cars Rental allows you to filter through the various car-types to arrive at a definite choice. On our booking form you can compare prices for SUVs, Sedans, Mustangs, Minivans and also Economy cars, to keep it easy, cheap and simple. With us, you can book a car according to your convenience, depending on the number of people traveling, the number of days, the pick-up and drop-off locations. Our portal allows you to make one way trips- depending on the company and vehicle you choose to hire. We work with some of the best people in the business to provide you top-notch services
Our booking portal allows you to make a reservation at the lowest prices, making you pay cheaper prices as compared to other booking engines.
Car rental suppliers that provide rental cars in Big Sur
Where can I pick up the rental car?
With a place that has so much to offer, a pre decided itinerary is always handy. Here are the two major airport car hire pickup points we cover:
|Airport 1:||The Monterey Airport|
|Airport 2:||San Francisco Airport|
Monterey Airport to Big Sur
The Monterey Airport is the closest to Big Sur and if you are coming in from Denver, Colorado, Las Vegas, Nevada or Pheonix, Arizona, you can catch a direct flight to the place.
The Airport is 30 miles from the Big Sur valley. Just rent a car at the airport and drive down. The rental car services at the Monterey Airport are very efficient. The rental booths are located on First floor of the terminal building, next to baggage claim.
San Francisco airport to Big Sur
If you are flying in from some other parts of the world, San Francisco Airport /SFO/ is probably an easier option.The car rental at SFO airport is equally efficient and promising. You can rent a car at SFO airport from the Rental Car Center (RCC), which you can reach by boarding the AirTrain Blue Line, from the stations located in the terminal.
Drive down to Big Sur, which is only 2 hours 32 min away(133.9 miles). Yes! Your dream destination is that easy to reach. All you have to do is take the three easy steps:
Rules for driving in California / Big Sur
- Most of the suppliers only allow the drivers who are above the age of 20 or 21 to rent a car in California, USA. (some companies charge extra for drivers below the age of 25). However, the minimum age may vary from supplier to supplier, as per the car-type you are renting.
- The driver must be in possession of his/her passport & a driver’s license (and in some cases, an International driver’s permit when traveling overseas or internationally and your license is printed in a foreign language).
- Driving under the influence of alcohol is prohibited.
- Traffic rules must be followed at all times.
Your guide to Big Sur
There is a long list of ‘to-dos’, when you plan a trip to this raggedy range of coastal road.
- First and foremost the weather. With an average snowfall of 3 inches each year, the area of Big Sur remains sunny almost 270 days a year, making it an ideal vacation spot.
- The peak season ranges from April to October. Hire a car, maybe a Hatchback or perhaps an SUV and drive along the coast or reside in the beautiful hotels and campsites.
- Most tourists come to the place to go for camping and hiking. Some of the best places, that you must try, have some famous origin stories.
- Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground
- Andrew Molerea State Park
- Point Lobos State Natural Park
- Fernwood Campground and Resort
You can visit the Pfeiffer Beach, the Old Coast Road, the Partington Cove or Paul’s slide.The Bixby Bridge is an absolute must, with its spectacular views and the famous construction history.
Traveling the long stretch might make you hungry and these famous eateries will satisfy your famished soul, not just your belly. These joints are not just a coincidence as some of these places can be counted on for the best food you will ever have:
- The Sur House
- Sierra Mar
- Big Sur Bakery
- Ripplewood Resrt Restaurant
Hotels in Big Sur
Post Ranch innAddress: 47900 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
Phone: +1 831-667-2200
The rustic-chic, TV-free rooms, suites and tree-houses have private decks with mountain or ocean views, and wood-burning fireplaces.
Big Sur River InnAddress: 46800 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
Phone: +1 831-667-2700
The on-site restaurant/bar serves breakfast, lunch and dinner in a wood-walled dining room, on the riverside deck or in bent-willow chairs in the river.
Ventana Big SurAddress: 48123 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
Phone: +1 831-667-2331
Offering private balconies, as well as binoculars and walking sticks. Suites add either hot tubs or fireplaces, while stand alone villas and cottages provide additional bedrooms and living areas.
Big Sur LodgeAddress: 47225 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
Phone: +1 831-667-3100
Simple, cottage-style rooms have decks with views of the surrounding redwood forests. Some rooms add fireplaces and/or kitchens. There are no phones or Tvs.